Soundwalk
Midday at Washington Square Park: The weather is fair enough to draw a crowd. On a bench beside me, two students, I presume, chatter - “I’ve already solidified the friendship,” one boy expounds to another. He sounds frustrated. “I just can’t escape it.” The conversation drones on as soft jazz from a makeshift trio closer to the arch underscores the scene. There is patter from pets - dogs shuffling by with their owners, conversations cross-pollinating as they pass me. Phone calls. Farther, the attendant sounds of New York as a whole - traffic, vague construction work. Horns and drills.
“I don’t always hate interacting with her,” this boy continues. “Sometimes she’s really fun.” His friend has a laptop, and types infrequently, breaking to impart advice. “What do you think you’ll do?”
Then applause from a scant few spectators for the jazz trio. A song finished, and another begins.
“I’m not sure.”
An older woman then passes by and gasps as a rat darts across the pathway.
The boy with the predicament sighs. There is silence for a few moments, and the background amplifies - the jazz song becomes more clear, the noise of New York jarringly cuts through.
“Anyways, let’s go.”
The boys get up and walk away.
“I don’t always hate interacting with her,” this boy continues. “Sometimes she’s really fun.” His friend has a laptop, and types infrequently, breaking to impart advice. “What do you think you’ll do?”
Then applause from a scant few spectators for the jazz trio. A song finished, and another begins.
“I’m not sure.”
An older woman then passes by and gasps as a rat darts across the pathway.
The boy with the predicament sighs. There is silence for a few moments, and the background amplifies - the jazz song becomes more clear, the noise of New York jarringly cuts through.
“Anyways, let’s go.”
The boys get up and walk away.
Comments
Post a Comment